Friday, February 20, 2015

Mid Morning Session: Active Teaching Online



Active Teaching Online                                 Dawn J. Kempe, UMUC

Typical Online Classroom: Reading—Discussion—Activity such as a paper
In effective teaching the student does most of the work and activities allow participants to acquire knowledge and skills, not simply receive them.


Most of what I’m hearing so far is interesting information about learning. I think it’s information we’ve all heard before, and I admit, it is worth hearing ever so often. Still, we all know that simply lecturing and testing doesn’t go very far. The question I have is this: how do some of these things change when the course moves from the classroom to the computer screen.
First Strategy: Introduction Bingo. 

Okay, as much as I resist ideas like this, the way she is doing it sounds like it could work. She sets up the squares so they connect to the content of the class. For instance, in a first year writing class you might ask, “Have you ever written a paper using the Five Paragraph Model?” or “Have you ever published a poem?” The goal is to familiarize students with the class content and give the instructor information about the students’ prior knowledge.

Kempe recommends the following book, from which she takes many of her activities:



Second Strategy: Guided Note taking. Not much new about this. In her example she describes an eight minute video on teaching philosophy followed by a worksheet with questions for notes about that video. For instance, “How does X idea affect how you think about the class you are designing?”

Third and Fourth Strategy: Debates and/or case studies.



At this point I’m seeing the strategies here as an example of a f2f class delivered online. In other words, I don’t see what she is describing as an online class. Whether you handed out the handout or downloaded it to Blackboard, it’s still a handout. How do we make this activity more engaging, more active, more interesting, online? Looking specifically at this activity, how do we make it an online activity?
  
Sure, I can place the directed note taking in a discussion area. This is usually what we do with discussion areas. In the past I’ve been satisfied with that. Now, I’m not. I’m wondering how “online” that discussion area actually is. So, my dissatisfaction with what she is doing is making me dissatisfied with what I am doing. That strikes me as a good thing. Maybe my dissatisfaction will force me to innovate.

2 comments:

  1. I am interested in the idea of form online. How are f2f assignments translated into online assignments? How can the SLOs be met when migrating to online? Maybe digital learning creates SLOs beyond the course objectives? Cognitive psychology has a lot to explore now that computer screens are used more for online learning than in psych lab experiments. I have been thinking a lot about how writing choices, purpose, audience relate to online activity and the spaces and scenarios where those choices are made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Noe,
    Active Teaching Online Dawn J. Kempe, UMUC
    I believe seems to have been interesting. I found the triangle interesting and it made sense, of what is read and how much remains. I also like that it talked about the differences from classroom setting to an online course.
    Rosa perez
    ENG-6390-90L-Spring2015

    ReplyDelete