Thursday, February 19, 2015

Morning Session: “How Your Student Would Design Your Online Course.”



I’m at a morning session entitled, “How Your Student Would Design Your Online Course,” Amy Pilcher   Iowa State University Looks like it should be interesting. Can’t video.

The presenter is a graduate student, which gives her some ethos. She’s coming from the position of someone who is in online classes.  

Here are the things she says students are looking for:

1)      Immediate feedback. Personal
2)      Timely responses
3)      Personalized responses
4)      Multimedia
5)      Interaction
6)      Regular chances to communicate—Office hours
7)      To see your passion for the subject come thorough.

I can’t help but notice how many of these points are about people to people, not technology.

Here are her complaints:
#1 The absent professor
#2 Unorganized courses
#3 Modules and readings that are not sequentially numbered and/or identified by week.
#4 Course calendar that is hard to find.
#5 When technology takes the forefront over the content.
#6 Vague expectations.

I’ve got to look over my online courses and see how many of these I’ve done.

2 comments:

  1. More power to this girl. I was wondering the same thing myself. Now that it has been done for me I can move on!
    I have to wonder how your bias may affect your analysis?
    Just as the spacing on that one presentation was confusing, I am always amazed at what I take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. Sometimes people are the ones making the technology confusing. Teachers design the online spaces where students work. I have been frustrated in the past with online learning (not in this course. I appreciate the simple, direct language, and videos). I always say talk to me like a second grader when it comes to technology. I have had experiences where I was expected to log into multiple sites and "figure it out." I spent more time clicking and deciphering than learning anything about the course. Navigating the technology is always going to be an issue. However, even BB has very slow, step-by-step tutorials that have helped me.

    ReplyDelete