Thursday, February 19, 2015

Mid-Morning Session: Gaming



I’m sitting in the back of the room on the floor at a session on improving online instruction through gaming. I have to admit, I’m not sure from this presentation exactly what the presenter means by “gaming.” Some of the things she’s talking about just seem like parts of a well-organized course. Two things she’s talked about that mirror what goes on in gaming are:

  • The student does not give information on the next module until they have completed all stages on the previous module. This is sort of like finding all the gold coins in a video game. No going on to the next level.
  • If a student messes up on a level, they have to go back to the previous level.
  • Get rid of quizzes and tests and have students do projects that they submit to go to the next level.
  • Use varied media to present information.
  •  Progress through the course follows a narrative. 
  • In the course used as an example there were no badges, one hallmark of gaming. Instead, the focus was on moving up to the master level.

I’m going to need more info on gaming as a pedagogical tool before I would think about it as a viable strategy. Have any of you used any gaming elements in your courses?

2 comments:

  1. I once observed my significant other fail a math class because of this idea. The class was structured so you could not progress unless you did all the assignments... in order.
    If you did not do chapter 1 homework, then you could not take the quiz or the test.
    My significant other got caught up for a week or so. Well if you have one module a day.... a quiz each week... and a test every two weeks....
    Needless to say you can't jump in if you get left behind. It feels like you have to start all over.
    I am a labrat. I love little goals that I can easily accomplish. I like the idea of "leveling up", but not at the cost of getting left behind if something were to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sequencing and simplicity of this idea. Plus, it might follow a pattern that students are familiar with. To be honest, I don't have a lot of confidence and experience teaching online. I often default to paper and f2f because it just seemed like less of a hassle. I am starting to figure out what might be behind this "hassle." I better. I have been applying for traditional teaching jobs and the mention of needing knowledge/experience in online and hybrid teaching is everywhere!

    ReplyDelete