Friday, February 20, 2015

Reflections about what we're doing at UTPA



Lots of people talking about innovation today. Some are talking about how to institutionalize innovation. Talk about an oxymoron. Some are talking about how to create a safe space for innovation. I give Colin and Andrew, and everyone else who has been working so closely with lecturers and TAs, credit for creating such an environment.  
    
In fact, I see the most innovation on our campus among our lecturers and TAs, who don’t know that they can’t do that and don’t care that we haven’t done it that way before.

Kudos, guys!

“If we all did the things we are really capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves….”

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.”

Thomas Edison

1 comment:

  1. That is how it felt for me, Mark. The WP is a safe place to be unsafe, take risks, and try something new! My lack of knowledge as a TA helped me construct a classroom out of me, the space, my students. It was actually one of my first lessons on rhetoric. I gave myself permission to explore, discover, and construct. It then became the natural learning environment where both me and my students could freely explore our questions, ideas, and process. I usually think of innovation being associated with technology. It seems the conference is a lot about new ideas and interpersonal relationships.

    ReplyDelete