Monday, March 9, 2015

Notes from Teach Like a Champion

I have been thumbing through Teach Like a Champion, by Doug Lemov, Jossey-Bass Pub. I've been particularly taken by the I/We/You model in the chapter on "Structuring and Delivering Your Lesson." When I look over past lessons, at least lessons that were successful, I noticed hints of the I/We/You structure in those lessons. However, I haven't been as deliberate about this structure as I could or should have been. Below is a truncated version of the chart for I/We/You found on pg. 72. Though Lemov focuses on elementary education, the idea behind I/We/You strikes me as useful at every level of instruction.

1.          I          I do.                           Demonstrate the task you are asking students to learn.
2.          We     I do; you help              Students assist you in completing the task
3.          We     You do; I help             You assist students in completing the task
4.          You    You do . . . .                Student attempts task
5.          You    And do . . . .                Student practices task

No comments:

Post a Comment